Volcanic Eruption in the Kitchen

June 3, 2011

in Kitchen & Chef & Boss Stories

Quite recently a rather unusual and downright dangerous incident took place in the kitchen at the restaurant where I work. We have these huge pots to cook our soups and other hot meals in. There was a big pot of boiling oil on the grill for our meat dishes that we were serving that day. As I was passing by I noticed one of the chefs filling up a jug of cold water; to my horror and for reasons I cannot explain, he proceeded to pour it into the pot of oil.

What happened next highly resembled a scene from the movie Dante’s Peak. There was a BOOM! as a volcanic-like jet of steam shot up in the air and the flames on the grill went wild. Everyone who was standing nearby had to run away as the boiling oil sprayed everywhere. A panicked chef managed to reach for the panel on the oven and switch the grills off. I was in a state of shock; never in my years of working in the restaurant business have I ever seen a near disaster like that. It was a miracle that no one was hurt.

{ 3 comments… read them below or add one }

Rachel June 4, 2011 at 12:31 am

I hope the idiot who poured cold water on hot oil is no longer employed where he can be within reaching distance of open flames and boiling pots of oil.

I hope the guy who had the presence of mind to shut off the grill while oil globs were flying around him got a medallion.


Belle June 6, 2011 at 10:51 pm

Anyone who does something so stupid and dangerous doesn't deserve the title of "chef". Hell, he doesn't deserve to work there as a bus boy. What the hell was he thinking?


Bottleau September 3, 2013 at 5:50 pm

Maybe he forgot what he was carrying


Leave a Comment
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Previous post:

Next post: