Sick from Spoiled Lobster

January 28, 2018

in Illness/Medical Stories

So three years ago my family and I were on vacation in Orlando, Florida. Since we live in the northern US we decided to enjoy the fresh, delicious seafood this state had to offer. Unfortunately, “fresh” and “delicious” seafood was not the case at one restaurant we went to, a “family-friendly” buffet style restaurant in the southwestern corner of Orlando (not too far from SeaWorld). It looked like a nice place to eat as we drove by, so we parked and went in.

The decor was phenomenal, the restaurant was full of diners, and there was even one of those lobster tanks next to the hostess stand! The hostess was kind and cheerful, leading us to our table with a smile and the typical “enjoy your meal” line before returning back to work.

The waiter arrived at our table and took our orders pleasantly, not giving a word of complaint when my elderly grandparents (who were with us at that time) had trouble remembering their orders.

Since it was a seafood restaurant that prided itself on its lobster dishes, my entire family (mother, father, sister, and I) ordered lobster. My grandparents decided to stick with mahi-mahi filets and salad.

Everything was going smoothly until the food didn’t show up. We had been waiting for nearly an hour and a half now, but no meals. We didn’t even see our waiter! My mother and father were starting to get annoyed now, but I dismissed it saying that the chefs probably needed to select and kill a lobster from the tank in the lobby.

A short while later, the food arrived… COLD!

We sent the dishes back and new ones returned nice and hot. We all dug in, enjoying the taste of the seafood since we hadn’t eaten in so long.

After paying our bill and heading back to the hotel room, my family began to feel sick. A few hours later, as we were all going to sleep, my sister projectile vomited all over the bed she was sleeping in, causing my family to need to call housecleaning services.

A fresh mattress, pair of sheets, and four new pillows later, my family and I were finally able to get to bed. We thought the horrible part of the night was over…

Boy were we wrong.

I’ll spare you the details, but the rest of the night basically consisted of four people sharing one toilet and one sink, as our bodies purged the rotten lobster out of our stomachs.

Luckily, my grandparents had eaten the right foods at that restaurant, and did not get sick, although our tales of woe might’ve made them a little queasy.

– SB

{ 4 comments… read them below or add one }

Jamie Baker April 5, 2018 at 1:27 am

Food poisoning is terrible. I would definitely have brought this to the attention of management.


Sarah Brown April 16, 2018 at 12:48 pm

My parents did end up reporting it, and I do believe the establishment was closed in violation of health and safety laws


Crystal April 16, 2018 at 9:46 pm

It could have been the mono sue revenge get to them where lobster could have been food poisioning


JJP March 20, 2019 at 5:09 pm

If your from the East Coast do NOT order northern seafood in Fl, Order what is local, Swordfish, Mahi, Snapper and Grouper, that way you know it is fresh, Lobster Tails from the Gulf are horrible and chewy as well.


Leave a Comment
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Previous post:

Next post: